Scratch Monkey Bread
I love monkey bread and this recipes when cooked right will be soft and chewy with a hard candy crust.
4 tsp Yeast
2 2/3 cups Water (110-115F)
2 tsp Sugar
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
4 tsp Salt
7 cups Flour
2/3 cup Sugar
2 tsp Cinnamon, Ground
1 cup Butter
2 cups Brown Sugar
4 tsp Water
- Mix warm water with yeast and sugar and allow the yeast to bloom 5 minutes.
- Add flour, salt and oil to mixer stand with dough hook. Slowly add yeast and knead for 5-6 minutes.
- Oil large bowl and add dough. Flip to coat top to prevent drying. Wrap with plastic and set in warm area to double in size. Approximate 60-90 minutes.
- Mix sugar with cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- Add butter, brown sugar and water to a saucepan and melt. Mix well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease bunt pan.
- Punch dough and using hands, squeeze off quarter sized balls or any desired size. They will proof again so do not make them too big.
- Roll in sugar and add to bunt pan. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Allow dough to rise again for about 20 minutes and pour brown sugar butter sauce evenly over the dough. Do not overfill or it will spill over in the oven.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Using a baking sheet or a large plate, place over bunt and carefully reverse. Tap the bottom to insure loosening of bread. Lift and serve immediately. Use caution since there is molten hot sugar which can burn badly.